Yes, you read that right…peanut butter & Nutella cupcakes. Did I mention that they’re topped with homemade cream cheese frosting and bananas? Heaven, I know.
For my friend Caroline’s 21st birthday a few weeks ago, I wanted to make something delicious that incorporated her favorite flavor combination: peanut butter, chocolate and bananas. Luckily, I received the cookbook, “1001 Cupcakes, Cookies & Other Tempting Treats” for my birthday only two days before. It was in it that I stumbled upon a perfect recipe. I added my own little flair, but you can find the original recipe in the cookbook.
- 4 tbsp butter, softened
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup crunchy peanut butter
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 2/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- generous 1/3 cup milk
- Nutella (or any chocolate spread)
- 3/4 cup soft cream cheese
- 2 tbsp butter, softened
- 2 cups confectioners’ sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees (F).
- Line two 12-hole muffin pans with liners.
- Place butter, sugar and peanut butter in a bowl and beat together for 1-2 minutes, or until well mixed.
- Gradually beat in eggs, then add the vanilla extract.
- Sift in the flour and baking powder, then fold into mixture, alternating with milk.
- Spoon half the batter (halfway) into liners.
- Place about 1/2 tsp of Nutella into the center of each.
- Carefully spoon the remaining batter to completely enclose chocolate filling.
- Bake in preheated oven for 25 minutes, or until well risen and golden brown.
- Transfer and cool completely.
- To make frosting, place cream cheese and butter in a large bowl and beat until smooth.
- Sift confectioners’ sugar into the mixture and beat together until well mixed, then spread the frosting on top of each cooled cupcake.
- Top with sliced bananas immediately before serving.
This was my first attempt at baking cupcakes with an inside filling, which seems to be all the rage these days. I recommend monitoring the cupcakes as they’re baking, because I left mine in the oven too long, which caused them to be drier than anticipated.
If you’re a fan of peanut butter, chocolate and banana, this is a must-try recipe! Next time I’m going to try making it with a chocolate frosting!